> Library-O-Saurus: Storybook STEM: The Library Dragon

Monday, September 16, 2019

Storybook STEM: The Library Dragon

I have to be honest - I'm a little depressed that we only have one grade on Friday rotations this year. Our school is growing so quickly that we have 5 (or 6!) sections of K-3, so I see each K-3 class once a week. Since there are still only four 4th grades, though, they are on a Friday rotation where every month I see each class for a bonus day!

I use the bonus Friday for one of my favorite things: Storybook STEM! We read the beginning of a book, until the characters encounter a problem. Then we move to our tables and solve the problem in groups using one of our various tools - Strawbees, KEVA planks, Osmos, Ozobots, or a combination of the four - before reconvening on the carpet to see what our characters did to solve their problem.

Since it's the beginning of the year, I wanted something that would give me an idea of what the students expect and want from their library class. We read the beginning of The Library Dragon, about a school library gone wrong - Miss Lotta Scales, the librarian, is an actual librarian and won't let the kids touch the books. Kids miss storytime, the principal wants to fire her, and worst of all, nobody is getting books! It's also chock full of fire-related puns, which is an added bonus.

Image result for library dragon

We stopped as the teachers were running away after protesting, worried they were getting singed. I told my fourth graders: These kids have a real problem - they can't use their library at all! How would you fix this? What would you want YOUR library to look like?


We reviewed our Storybook STEM Process using this Design Process poster a friend snagged for me at MACUL last year: Imagine what you want your library to look like; Describe it to your group members and agree on ONE solution (due to time constraints, our describe step is always verbal); Create using the tools provided and Evaluate as you go; and finally, Present your product! Our tools for the challenge were KEVA Planks.

Their solutions were hilarious, creative, and collaborative! We had ice cream shops, spa chairs, robots, and a TV room. Sound good to me!


After all groups had presented, we met back at the carpet to finish the book and see how the kids at Sunrise Elementary solved THEIR problem. I think I prefer some of ours - we may need to do some reconstruction in our library! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment